Thursday, March 10, 2011

Kosanji Temple

This morning I visited Kosanji temple. I'm not a huge temple fan but when I read about this place it made my "must visit" list. Unlike other famous temples in Japan, this temple cannot boast a long history as it is less than a century old. It was built by a successful businessman who dedicated it to his mother.

For me, there are a few features of this temple that make it stand out. First, the temple contains several replicas of famous structures you'll find in other temples across Japan. One I recognized was the Phoenix Hall from Byodoin. Second, this temple has a cave and caves are cool! This cave apparently has 1000 Buddha statues in it - give or take a few. Finally, the temple has a huge garden at its summit that is made purely of marble imported from Italy - over 3000 tonnes.

I see this temple as symbolic of a traditional Japan that is outwards looking. A Japan that can embrace the outside world and accept its place in it.

I also heard a story today of the temple's construction. Apparently, when the marble was being imported, there was an earthquake in Kobe and the marble laden ship couldn't dock. So it went back to Italy and made a second trip later.

And some people say the temple has no history...

No comments:

Post a Comment