Friday, March 11, 2011

Shimanami Kaido

Yesterday I completed my trek along the Shimanami Kaido.

BREAKDOWN
Ikuchijima (Setoda) -> Imabari
46.6km

The views along the rest of the road were fantastic. Unfortunately I was impeded by continuing strong headwinds. Next time I ride this course I will be sure to check the wind direction first. The waters of the Seto inland sea are like a pool of emeralds surrounding each of the islands. One beach (Sunset Beach) had bright white sands making a lush vista as I rode by. The sea was inviting and had it been a bit warmer I would surely have stopped for a swim. Maybe next time...

Perhaps the funniest thing I saw was on one of the last islands I had to cross. There, the main industry appears to be granite quarrying. The whole area is granite crazy. Even the tourism signboards were made of granite. Up in the mountains, away from any water, I happened across a giant stone fish. Not a stonefish mind you but a "stone" fish.

After facing 75km of headwinds the Shimanami Kaido redeemed itself with glorious splendour as I reached the final bridge. A multi-span suspension bridge it is the longest bridge in the world. The bridge took me a full 30 minutes to cross. With the superb scenery of the islands in the inland sea and the magnificent bridge above, I found myself feeling quite small but with an element of pride as though I was walking alongside the giants of this world.

On arrival at Imabari, I decided to take a train to Matsuyama where I spent the night. I was planning to go to Dogo Onsen last night but was too tyred at the end of the day so I had some dinner, did my washing and went to bed.

Today I will go to Dogo onsen before taking a ferry to Hiroshima city. I will probably stay in Hiroshima city tonight or I might try cycling further South again. It all depends on whichever way the wind blows.

No comments:

Post a Comment