Sunday, March 13, 2011

Miyajima and Kintaikyo

After sleeping in a bit later than usual, I made my departure from Hiroshima at the lazy time of 11am. After a brief stop for lunch I visited Miyajima and saw the big gate before heading on to Iwakuni.

BREAKDOWN
Hiroshima -> Miyajima -> Iwakuni
94km

Miyajima's big gate was much smaller than I expected. Although It is a world heritage listed site, it wasn't as impressive as I expected. One cool feature of Miyajima was the deer that roam the streets. These deer are completely at home with humans and didn't seem to mind me coming up and taking a photo at all.

After, leaving Miyajima, I got in a few Km to reach Iwakuni. At Iwakuni, I visited and crossed the bridge at Kintaikyo. This multi-span wooden bridge showcases the beauty of traditional Japanese architecture. Perhaps not ideally, I found Kintaikyo to be more impressive than Miyajima.

Anyway, today I have a full day of riding ahead. I have 155km or so before I reach Kyushu. I wonder if I can make it tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is giving me ideas! I live in Miyazaki. A cycling trip to Iwakuni seems like a lovely idea!

    ReplyDelete