Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Thin Blue Line

After getting on the bike at Fukuyama I rode to Onomichi and started along the Shimanami Kaido.

BREAKDOWN
Fukuyama -> Onomichi -> Mukoujima -> Innoshima -> Ikuchijima (Setoda)
Distance: 55.0km

At first, I was worried that when I reached Onomichi, I wouldn't be able to find the Shimanami Kaido. Not being sure of where to go, I inquired with a local taxi driver as to which way I should go. He told me to "Follow the thin blue line". Apparently, the blue line continues all the way to Imabari. What a fantastic idea! Now I can enjoy the ride without worrying about maps and navigation so long as I follow the thin blue line.

At first the blue line led me through a quaint little town before emerging along a picturesque coastline. I never expected to behold such a magnificent view so soon. The islands rose out of the crystal clear waters with lazy mountains looking across the channels at each other. One small island even had a peephole.

The islands of Mukojima and Innoshima shoulder an enormous bridge between them. As the first bridge I have to cross the views sure leave an impression. The climb to the bridges is easy and the view from the top, breathtaking. As I was crossing the wind lashed me with a fury I have never known.

I finally crossed a second bridge onto Ikuchijima and cycled to the city of Setoda where I stayed for the night. Today, I will visit Kosanji Temple and continue down towards Imabari and Matsuyama. I would like to reach Matsuyama before dark tonight but with all there is to see here, I don't like my chances.

No comments:

Post a Comment